Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) attacked at least two US military facilities on late Tuesday, as part of its "hard revenge" for killing Iran's top military commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani on 3 January.
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said that Tehran took and accomplished proportionate measures in self-defense in accordance with the UN Charter when it targeted the US military bases in Iraq.
He added that Iran is not seeking any war or escalation, but will act in defence against any aggression.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
Approximately 35 missiles were launched by the IRGC towards military bases in Ayn al-Asad and Erbil, where American military personnel is deployed at the moment. Later, the second series of rockets were fired towards US targets in Iraq, Iranian state TV reported.
Tehran dubbed the operation "Martyr Soleimani", designed as a "hard revenge" for Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, who was killed in the targeted US attack on the Baghdadi International Airport on 3 January. Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei warned later that "harsh vengeance awaits the criminals" that killed the commander, who was one of the most prominent political figures in the country.
There have been no casualties reported so far on the side of the US personnel, Washington officials said. Assessment of damage and casualties is taking place.
President Donald Trump is going to make a statement on the attacks on Wednesday morning.
#Iran #DonaldTrump #IRGC #QassemSoleimani #JavadZarif